Write to Me

andrew.sheffield@myldsmail.net

Ave. Estrella Sadhala
#10 2nd Piso, Frente a Univ. UTESA
Santiago 51000
Dominican Republic

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Balm from Gilead

Arrived Mar 20 17
Love the family more than missionary reunions! This past week was an amazing week! Ill write more in detail in the email but on Monday and Tuesday the missionaries got together and it was great. Some highlights were singing songs with one of the assistants and a Sister Training Leader from Phantom of the opera, Wicked and Les Miserables, seeing old companions, learning the mission hymn, playing basketball, habichuelas con dulce and the spirit.
 
Me and my companion
Last Monday and p-day we had a activity of only the zone leaders, sister leaders and the office. It was the second time in two years. We played a lot of basketball, dominoes, and games. Turns out our mission has a hymn, which we learned and practiced. We then stayed the night at the mission home in a big elder only sleep over.

Tuesday. Elder Anderson of the quorum of the twelve apostles came to the country and came to talk to all the missionaries in the capital. Our whole mission got special permission to get together to watch the transmission. A group of use sang the mission hymn and then we watched the broadcast. It was super spiritual and funny to. Elder Anderson is a great person. I came prepared and really felt the spirit. It’s something I wont forget.

 The rest of the week we had a few exchanges. It really had me animated and we worked hard. We haven’t been working very well as a zone and it has been frustrating. It’s amazed me how you can spend so much time away from the apartment and yet not have results. I’m really excited for these next two transfers. My companion finishes his mission this week and so I will have a new companion, a new month and a new start. We are going to do what He wants us to. Preparaos porwue manana haremos milagros.

We found a new investigator named Luis this week. His sons were some of the first members here in Navarette and he always went with them to church even though he never was baptized. He has a lot of questions and said he wants to come to church. He has a baptismal date and even though he didn’t come to church this week we are working hard.

For the past few weeks everyone and especially the members have been talk about the world classic baseball championship and giving me a hard time. The ward mission leader brought up the games in the Elders Quorum and used it as an example. Well I got my balm from gilead when we won against the dominican republic 6 to 3. Everyone was unusually quiet in church this week, while elder sheffield had a huge smile. Platano power loses to corn flakes con leche power I guess.

We have started saying goodbye to the people here since my companion goes home Wednesday. Our golden investigator Victor started balling when he found out. It was a touching moment to see him get so emotional.

The work is hard and frustrating at times. The traditions blind people and discourage to truth seekers but I am happy. It is a happy work and filled with miracles in the little things.

I don’t have much time but this week I was reading in Mormon. Its sad to read of the destruction of the Nephites, and It makes one think. How strong were Mormon and Moroni. True heroes. I can’t stress the importance of prayer to people and to myself. Great men are made by prayer. 


Con gozo y amor por ustedes
Elder A. Sheffield



Victor was really sad as my companion sees him for the last time

No comments:

Post a Comment